Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2016

A New Year!

It's hard to believe we've made it to the end of another year, y'all! Most of you probably aren't surprised to hear me say I'm ready to kick 2016 out the door and start fresh with 2017. Once again, Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl is hosting a goal setting link up (with prizes!) and I decided to hop in on the fun!


Last year, I had a big list full of quilting goals and I'm proud to say I've reached some of those goals. I learned how to paper piece and really liked it! I also made some quilts to donate, but I still have to actually donate them. I fell off the wagon when it came to staying consistent with my blogging, as well as giving my blog an update. Surprisingly, I had quite a few commissions this year as well! All-in-all, I count my quilting for the year quite successful.


This year, I'm approaching things completely different. This past year has worn me down. I like to think of it like a river wearing down stones until they are nice and smooth - it makes everything that has happened feel much more positive that way. :) Rather than make a huge list, I've decided to keep things simple. In fact, I've narrowed it down to 3 things. It made me uncomfortable at first because this list feels selfish (there's a lot of me and I in it), but I've thought on it for a week or so and I think it is what I need this year. 


1.) Choose Joy
This has been a mantra of mine during tough times, though it is definitely easier said than done sometimes. I try to remind myself everyday that there is always something to be thankful for. It may be as small as a dog wagging its tail when it looks at you or an extra chicken nugget in your lunch. I'm determined to fill my mind with all those joyful, happy things this year!


2.) Treat Yo' Self
So many people make it a goal to sew from the stash and spend less. I did so out of necessity for a long time, but things are different now. I no longer have to scrimp every penny to make ends meet. I don't have to take on commissions to keep the bills paid. This year, if I really want some fabric, I'm buying it. If I want to catch a movie or dinner with friends, I'm going to. Not to say I'm going to go crazy with spending (I'm saving up for a house!) but I don't want the anxiety that has engulfed me in the past to keep me from enjoying the fruits of my labor. I want to feel free to have fun!


3.) Take Care of Yourself
Over the last couple of years, I have run myself ragged. At times, I would work myself so hard and spread myself so thin that I would get sick. I have been plagued by aches and pains and unexplained 'yuckiness' and, looking back, it was because I didn't take care of myself. My goal this year is to get back to putting myself first some. I want to get back to working out. I used to be strong and fairly athletic - I want to get back to running, dancing, and yoga. I want to get more sleep. I want to stress less and smile more. I'm already getting a start on some of this (despite being sick for Christmas, I've laughed until I've cried multiple times, which is definitely good for the soul!), but I'm making an effort this year to be mindful of myself and what I need.


I hope y'all had a Merry Christmas! And if you celebrate other winter holidays, I hope those were wonderful as well!

6 comments:

  1. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas, too! I wish you much joy and happiness in 2017, and your goals resonate very much with me. Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the very best for 2017. I love the goals you've set as they are very obtainable and I know you'll reach each and every one of them. You have a terrific attitude for the coming year. WooHoo Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you the very best for 2017. I love the goals you've set as they are very obtainable and I know you'll reach each and every one of them. You have a terrific attitude for the coming year. WooHoo Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals - which are all attainable. I'm with you on the "I'm spreading myself too thin."
    And looking for the joy, even the little events in every day life.
    Wishing you a healthy, Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome goals. They are goals we should all choose. Here's to 2017!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those a wonderful goals ... you are choosing health and happiness over projects ... i will be well advised to remember this throughout the year

    ReplyDelete